26 July 2010

Slide

Since my girlfriends recent conversion from vegetarianism to eating whateverism, our cooking has expanded to realms never before thought possible...meat.  One of our favorite meat items has been sliders.  In Tallahassee we would always get pork sliders from our favorite Cuban eatery.  Perfectly spiced and wonderfully porky.  What would I do without pork.  Thank goodness I am allowed to eat hooved animals!!!  Then in NYC the sliders didn't fail to amaze.  We ate at the malaysian restaurant 'Fatty Crab', ironically the crab dish was rather lousy (too fishy) but the sliders were wonderful.  A blend of pork and beef with a spicy sauce, a thick chunk of cucumber and a sweet pillowy bun.  This fatty slider was the basis for the meal I am currently digesting and the one I am about to share with you all about.


For my first week here in Ithaca (living in a farm house with chickens that live in trees) I am free of a job (a job that starts tommorrow morning, actually), so I have some time to cook for the gal.   We agree that sliders are a porktastic dinner option and so we go meat shopping at the farmers market.  While Logan is at work I bike to three different grocery stores to find some darn chipotle, or as I pronounce them Shipotle peppers.  After facing gorges and honking angry hipster drivers, I make it home hours later with a $1.89 jar of chipotle peppers.  I start dinner with a nap, then I get the buns going from scratch.  Unfortunately I used the rest of Logan's flour in the process (a move that will end in logan scowling at me as she attempts to make a peach cobbler).  Whislst the buns are in the oven (no not babies, literally buns to put the sliders in) I make the chipotle sauce.  I combined finely chopped Chipotle peppers with yogurt, garlic, cilantro and lemons.  For the main event I mixed beef and Chorizo, with onions garlic and spices and rolled them into balls and put them on the grill with more onions and the baked buns.  Holy ham!  I ate four!  Our attempt to recreate the 'Fatty crab' sliders was a success.  Slabs of spicy-lemony sauce with grilled oily onions and thick cucumber on top of a naughty greasy pork/beef love affair that is sinful and illegal depending on your religious beliefs or which state your from.  Put that shiz on top of more of the said sauce, all enveloped in a homemade bun.  And some people just go to McDonald's for a burger.

2 comments: