20 March 2010

Ugly Ravioli



Probably one of the best things I've made, (not much of a compliment because anything is better than mac-n-cheese) I would highly recommend making this dish. It is a sweet potato ravioli in a white wine shallot sauce. Playing the house-husband/boyfriend roll perfectly, I concocted this whilst Logan was away. I started by making a really thin homemade pasta (white pasta this time, none of that odd whole wheat texture) while sweet potatoes were a-baking. The recipe called for wanton wrappers... who would want wanton wrappers over fresh home-made pasta? Nicht mir! The filling was simple sweet potato, butter and brown sugar. As for the sauce, the recipe called for an all butter sauce, but as my teen metabolism is waning and I'm chunking up a bit I replaced a good portion of the butter with white wine and Parm. The recipe also called for me to "deep-fry" the shallots till brown, but I simply sauteed them in the butter and wine. Perfecto. Logan came home to a great meal, if I do say so myself. My one complaint is my presentation skills. Boy were the raviolo ugly as sin. I had no ravioli cutters so i resolved to doing the old "shredder" technique which I have much practice in, not pretty but absolutely tasty.

I've never played with a sweet/savory dish, as I am very new to this whole thing, but darn it was great. The filling was sweet, while the pasta and sauce was delectibly savory. The parm and white wine added a great Twang (as they say here in the south). Thin is in and making the fresh pasta as thin as possible made the texture quite the pleasure to devour.

Joe
Ps See pictures for the ugly pasta, and how I manage to make the biggest mess when I cook.
PPS The end product looks a bit "white" like a wanton soup at a regular Chinese Restaurant, but in real life it was a wee bit different.

1 comment: