10 May 2010

Julia Child is a sadist.

I wanted to make creamed swiss chard and spinach with gruyere. In other (french) words, epinards gratinee au mornay. Seems simple enough. Make a cheese sauce, stir in up with the sauteed spinach, scrape it into a gratin dish and put it in the oven. Oh no. Not if you're taking directions from good old JC.

First, I looked up the recipe for spinach au gratin. That recipe required a recipe of sauce mornay, which required a recipe of sauce bechamel. It also required a recipe of blanched spinach, which requires a recipe of sauteed spinach, which requires a recipe of prepared spinach. WTF, Julia? I guess spinach was tougher back in the day. I decided to just sautee it in some butter and dump it in the casserole with the sauce mornay. And it was delicious and decadent, of course.

And that was just the side dish. The main course was a whole trout (Logan and Joe, you've seen me do this before), roasted with sliced lemons and almonds. The other side dish was purple rice pilaf with sliced portabello mushroom, caramalized onions and craisins. Sounds weird, I know, but trust me. I got rave reviews. We had a very cheap but nonetheless appropriate pinot grigio to complement the meal. I wish I could supplement my writing with pictures...but my camera is broken. Hope you all can settle for good old fashioned words.

No comments:

Post a Comment