19 May 2010

Reconvening at the Admiral

The Admiral used to be sort of our spot for a low-key night of excellent cocktails and a bowl of hot olives when we wanted to get away from campus for a bit. Last Friday Joe's parents treated a whole bunch of us to an exquisite dinner there. Not only was the food and drink decadent, the company was wonderful.

As we waited for Joe's family to find their way, we stood on the patio amidst a raging hailstorm, sipping our cocktails, which ranged from extra dirty martinis to old fashioneds. It was so good to see Logan. Her hair so long and beachy, her eyes so bright blue, her smile so sweet and sincere. And Joe, with his giggles and sassy goodness.

I love meeting people's parents. It makes so much sense! Joe's parents are so sweet and funny and generous. His mom is super sweet and an experienced cook - she and I geeked out over Julia Child. His dad is a little inappropriate, but in a funny enough way that it's somehow okay. Joe looks exactly like him. It was so interesting sitting across from him, diving into my salad and looking back and forth between him and his son whom I have known for years.

ANYWAY, onto the important stuff - the food. We all shared a couple of big plates of coconut curry mussels to start off. It is oh-so-satisfying, prying open those shiny black shells, sucking out the tender morsel of flesh, followed by a bite of the chewy, yeasty bread dipped in that spicy, creamy, oceany sauce. oh man.

I ordered one of the best salads of my life. I will most certainly be recreating it in my own kitchen. It was a small, buttery tender head of Bibb lettuce, accompanied by pickled beets, deviled eggs, applewood bacon, smoked blue cheese, pistachio brittle and shallot vinaigrette. Brilliant flavor combinations - sweet and savory are my favorite. I wanted it to last forever.

I also had a small plate of soft shell crab, which was deep-fried and served with mango-avocado relish, ceviche, pickled onions, and chimichurri. The ice-cold ceviche and creamy avocado contrasted beautifully with the super-crunchy savory crab. The pinot gritio I chose to accompany the meal was absolutely perfect - crisp, slightly fruity, with just the edge I needed. All I can say is, wow.

A big shout-out to Joe's awesome parents! Thanks so much for giving me a night to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment