20 April 2010

Brunch is the best way to start a day off


Brunch. I could eat brunch for every meal. It is perfectly complemented by lots of mimosas, bad (great?) puns, and strong coffee. My friends love it when I invite them over for brunch, and since the days of Logan and Holly co-brunches, I have managed to branch out quite a bit from fritatta and fruit salad. In fact, I have quite a repetoire by now.

Pancakes were the request this morning, so I chose to make a recipe from work: Lemon Ricotta Puff Pancakes! My boss serves them with a "vanilla scented sauce" but I decided that a blueberry sauce would be far more delicious. I simmered the blueberries with some vermouth, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and a couple spoonfuls of sucanat. I would have added a pinch of nutmeg, but alas, the cupboards were bare. I strained the blueberries, then put the sauce back in the pot to reduce, but the pancakes were ready and I didn't have time, and I certainly didn't want to debase the sauce with gummy old cornstarch, so i just poured it over the pancakes and let them soak it up, and sifted some powdered sugar over the whole mess.

I served them on a big silver tray, with my now-famous CANDY BACON on the side. I also stole that recipe for work, but hey, why not take credit for it anyway. I put the strips of bacon on a roasting rack set in a baking pan, then spread on dijon mustard and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, then die of pleasure the moment you put it in your mouth. Seriously, the most unenthusiastic of eaters will be moaning with the best of them if you put this bacon on their plate.

My pancakes did not disappoint, and after downing a round of mimosas, we decided bloody marys would do just fine for dessert. No celery in the crisper, so I cut up a few carrot sticks and garnished with an olive. Yum! Another successful brunch.

2 comments:

  1. Invite me next time! I'll bring the champagne and stay for a while. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete