25 April 2010

Holly's Exploding Calzones

Yesterday I had the day off, so I invited a friend over to help me work in the garden and then eat lunch. All that shoveling and tilling works up quite an appetite, so I decided to make calzones. Never made them at home before, but it's the same basic pizza dough recipe that I use all the time, so I wasn't too concerned.

For the filling, I sauteed some sliced onions, red and green bell peppers, and portabello mushrooms in lots of olive oil, then tossed in chopped black olives and sliced pepperoni. Rolled out the dough, slathered it with homemade pizza sauce (muir glen organic canned tomatoes are the best) and handfuls of shredded mozzarella. I sealed them up tightly (or so I thought) and put them in the oven. Fifteen minutes went by before I peeked in, and to my slight dismay, both calzones had popped open and were leaking tomato sauce and veggies all over the place.

Flora tried to reassure me, suggesting that perhaps it could be my signature. Hey, she said, you could open up a place called "Holly's Exploding Calzones"! I thought that sounded rather like a bad case of syphilis, and was therefore entirely unappetizing. At any rate, the calzones were scrumptious, dipped in warmed marinara and devoured all too quickly.

Next up, my first foray into bagel-making!

No comments:

Post a Comment