25 April 2010

sandwich smile



So, maybe i'm bending the rules here because i'm about to post about food that i didn't make or attempt to make. I'm hoping ya'll will excuse the bending because this edible creation deserves all the praise i'm about to give it. 

The sandwich happened one hungry afternoon on my recent trip to NYC. I had spent a good part of the day wandering around Soho and by 3 o'clock I had worked up quite an appetite. Eager to find just the right spot to suit both my palate and my wallet, I joined the line of patrons waiting inside a little deli. When it was my turn at the counter, I knew exactly what would do the job: a grilled portobello mushroom, sautéed spinach and egg plant, with avocado on rye. And I was right. It did a mighty fine job. 


Let's just say if I never had another sandwich again, it would be okay. I ate one half and moved right on to the second, diving the corners into sweet-tomato ketchup. In the end, the sandwich had earned lots of finger licking and even a wink for the deli boy. I sat facing a ball of tinfoil, content, with a sandwich smile. 

1 comment:

  1. Nah your not breaking the rules, this is supposed to be all about food. Purchased, eaten, grown, made. yum yum.

    ReplyDelete